New photos of ancient through medieval archaeological and architectural sites throughout Europe and the Middle East by Sites and Photos are now available in the Digital Library. The images provide broad and in-depth documentation of the ancient world, including Classical, Megalithic, Islamic, Crusader, and Gothic archaeology and architecture, as well as Greek and Roman painting, sculpture, mosaics, and decorative arts. The collection is especially strong in its coverage of religious and Biblical sites in Israel, Jordan, Tunisia, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Malta, and Cyprus.
Based in Israel, Sites and Photos specializes in the digital documentation of ancient archaeology, architecture, and art. Samuel Magal, Owner and Chief Photographer, is a trained archaeologist specializing in Classical and Marine archaeology. Since 1999, he has photographed hundreds of sites and museums throughout the Mediterranean.
To view the Sites and Photos collection: go to the ARTstor Digital Library, browse by collection, and click “Sites and Photos;” or, if you are at your institution or have an ARTstor account, simply follow this link: http://library.artstor.org/library/collection/sitesandphotos
For more detailed information about this collection, visit the Sites and Photos collection page.
- Art, Archaeology, and Architecture (Erich Lessing Culture and Fine Arts Archives)
- Italian and other European Art (Scala Archives)
- QTVR Panoramas of World Architecture (Columbia University)
- Classical Antiquity Lantern Slide Collection (Bryn Mawr College)
- Mellink Archive (Bryn Mawr College)
- Plans of Ancient and Medieval Buildings and Archaeological Sites (Bryn Mawr College)
- Art, Archaeology, and Architecture (Canyonlights World Art Image Bank)