Some stories we’ve been reading this week:
- The last thing we expected from a book about artists depicting outer space was a comparison to the Hudson River School!
- And speaking of unexpected connections, fans of Josef Albers might enjoy this 800-page hand-painted guide to paint and color from 1692.
- And 26 years after that book was finished, Tsar Peter the Great issued an edict on monsters: Bring them to his new museum.
- What did the music of ancient Greece sound like? Strangely playful and melancholic, judging from this snippet.
- Overwhelmingly beautiful: panoramic photographs of centuries-old mosques.
- One of our New Year’s resolutions is to resist click-bait. No more clicking on listicles, no more clicking on cat photos. Unless someone combines the two, of course: Ten cats who live at the library.