Some stories we’ve been reading this week:
- eBay calculated the artists searched the most for each state in the US. There were some big surprises (at least to us). For instance, who could have ever predicted that Artemisia Gentileschi would be the top art search in Michigan and Minnesota?
- This made us cringe the whole time we were reading it: a harrowing first-hand account of what it’s like to accidentally break an artwork at a gallery.
- And speaking of breaking artworks, a giant wooden installation collapsed in Belgium on Christmas Eve.
- Archaeological excavations in Turkey have yielded 37 shipwrecks from the Byzantine Empire in exceptionally good condition, leading to new revelations.
- A new discovery in Stonehenge could change what we think about the site – if government plans don’t destroy it first.
- And last but not least, the UCLA Library’s Collecting Los Angeles documents the remarkable multiplicity of cultures and at-risk hidden histories of the Los Angeles region. Its interface is beautiful.