Some stories we’ve been reading this week:
- Merry Christmas! Here is Santa Claus in 24 masterpieces (well, 23 and the painting of dogs playing poker).
- This Christmas card by the legendary earthworks artist Robert Smithson is, um, a little scary.
- An analysis of nearly 500 paintings found that Jesus is more likely to be portrayed with his head tilted to show more of his left cheek. Meanwhile, the Buddha looks straight on.
- Hopefully this will put an end to a harmful myth: Study finds that depression does not inspire artists’ best work.
- Great question: Do we really need museum wall labels?