Some stories we’ve been reading this week:
- The Getty is running what it calls a “Historical Serial” on Tumblr, and we’re overcome with jealousy because it’s so brilliant. Start here.
- The popular perception of artists is often of brooding intellectuals, but it turns out that a fair number of them aren’t above the occasional fisticuffs.
- Beneath a painting of John Dee performing an experiment for Elizabeth I lays a dark and slightly terrifying secret.
- This story has been freaking out everyone who reads it: Museums are keeping a ton of the world’s most famous art locked away in storage. (Though you can still see most of it in Artstor, ahem.)
- Fascinating peek at Louise Bourgeois’ house as she left it. Bonus: great photo of the artist wearing a latex cast of one of her works!
- Could the mysterious paintings in one of the world’s most famous caves be the oldest-known depiction of a volcanic eruption?