Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Collections’ Category

Edmund V. Gillon, photographer. Looking south on South Street to the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges and the Lower Manhattan skyline, c. 1977. Image and data provided by Museum of the City of New York.

Edmund V. Gillon, photographer. Looking south on South Street to the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges and the Lower Manhattan skyline, c. 1977. Image and data provided by Museum of the City of New York.

The Museum of the City of New York has contributed approximately 17,300 additional images from its permanent collection to the Artstor Digital Library, bringing their total to more than 71,000.* (more…)

Read Full Post »

Richard Serra. The Matter of Time. 2005. Installation of seven sculptures, weatherproof steel. © 2014 Richard Serra / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York. © The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, New York.

Richard Serra. The Matter of Time. 2005. Installation of seven sculptures, weatherproof steel. © 2014 Richard Serra / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York. © The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, New York.

The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is contributing approximately 850 additional images from the permanent collections of four of its museums to the Artstor Digital Library, bringing their total to nearly 8,000.*
(more…)

Read Full Post »

Paul Cezanne. Still Life with Pears and Apples, Covered Blue Jar, and a Bottle of Wine. 19th century. Watercolor on wove paper. Image and data provided by The Morgan Library and Museum.

Paul Cézanne. Still Life with Pears and Apples, Covered Blue Jar, and a Bottle of Wine. 19th century. Watercolor on wove paper. Image and data provided by The Morgan Library and Museum.

The Morgan Library & Museum (The Morgan) has contributed approximately 200 images from its permanent collection to the Artstor Digital Library. The selection provides a range of highlights from The Morgan’s European drawings collection from the Renaissance to the 20th century, featuring celebrated works from Albrecht Dürer through Francisco Goya and Paul Cézanne. (more…)

Read Full Post »

William Davis Hassler. Mr. Sowerby on his horse on the Speedway near High Bridge, New York City, undated (ca. 1905-1911). Washington Bridge visible.|William D. Hassler photograph collection, approximately 1910-1921. William Davis Hassler. Image and data from New-York Historical Society: Museum & Library.

William Davis Hassler. Mr. Sowerby on his horse on the Speedway near High Bridge, New York City, undated (ca. 1905-1911). Washington Bridge visible.|William D. Hassler photograph collection, approximately 1910-1921. William Davis Hassler. Image and data from New-York Historical Society: Museum & Library.

The New-York Historical Society (New-York Historical) is contributing more than 21,000 images from its museum and library collections to the Artstor Digital Library. The selection encompasses many aspects of the combined resources of the New-York Historical, including highlights across the diverse collecting areas—American paintings, sculpture, prints and drawings, decorative arts and artifacts, and historical photographs. (more…)

Read Full Post »

George Jones.

George Jones. “Punch” Bowl. 1870-1880. Image and original data provided by Majolica International Society.

“Majolica” is the word used to denote the brightly colored, low-fired earthenware commercially introduced by the Minton Company at the 1851 London Exhibition of All Nations. This was in accordance with Herbert Minton’s long-held desire to capture the market of the newly emergent Middle Class. Majolica, a Victorian phenomenon, was a huge success at the Crystal Palace and soon became a worldwide fad, with factories on three continents and Australia to satisfy the buying craze it had inspired. Deborah English, Librarian, The Marilyn Karmason Majolica Reference Library of the Majolica International Society (MIS), has provided a history of the wares to celebrate the addition of the MIS collection to the Artstor Digital Library.

Staffordshire potters first developed lead glazes of green and brown in the 18th Century, but it was not until Herbert Minton of Stoke-on-Trent brought the French chemist Leon Arnoux to England, that more vibrant colors began to appear. This was possible, thanks to Mr. Arnoux’s previous work with the sumptuous porcelain glazes of Sèvres. Mr. Arnoux also persuaded several prominent French sculptors to join him at Minton, including A.E. Carrier-Belleuse, Paul Comolera, and Pierre Emile Jeannest. They joined the already formidable staff that Mr. Minton had built, including Alfred Lord Stevens, Baron Carlo Marochetti, John Bell, A.W.N. Pugin, and others. Mr. Minton formally introduced his new ware at the Crystal Palace Exhibition in 1851, even though English potters and English-born potters in the USA had been working on the formulas for some time. Arnoux’s saturated colors were the radical boost the new material needed. It soon happened that an astonishing number of forms evolved, sometimes in bizarre combinations.
(more…)

Read Full Post »

Herat Jami Masjid: West Iwan. 1200-1498. Ghurid; Timurid, Herāt, Herāt (province). Image and original data provided by Alka Patel Archive. © 2011 Alka Patel.

Herat Jami Masjid: West Iwan. 1200-1498. Ghurid; Timurid, Herāt, Herāt (province). Image and original data provided by Alka Patel Archive. © 2011 Alka Patel.

Alka Patel and the University of California, Irvine have contributed approximately 5,000 images of the art and architecture of historic Islamic sites in Afghanistan and Iran to the Artstor Digital Library.  

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Santo Domingo de Guzmán, interior. 1572-1666 (original construction). Zapotec and Mixtec, Oaxaca de Juárez, México. Photograph by José María Bilbao Rodríguez. Visual Resources Collection, University of Texas at Austin, School of Architecture

The School of Architecture Visual Resources Collection at The University of Texas has contributed more than 900 images to the Artstor Digital Library documenting two restoration projects of Mexican architectural landmarks in Oaxaca: the Templo y Exconvento de Santo Domingo de Guzmán and Teposcolula Open Chapel—elaborate reconstruction initiatives that both began in the mid-1990s.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »